The History of St. Paul C.M.E. Church
In 1907 a group of 15 CME members banded together in faith and courage to organize a Methodist Mission, the first Christian Methodist Episcopal church in the city of Chicago. Nine of the founders were Pastor and Mrs. Walls, Mother Reeves, Leah Thomas, Irene Battle (Harden), L. C. Wheeler, Lena Jones (Rice), George Hilary and W. W. Peters. St. Paul first location was 4008 S. State Street under the leadership of Rev J. H. T. Walls.
A year later, St. Paul moved its services to the Emanuel Society of the United Evangelical Church on Dearborn Street. Emanuel's congregation worshipped in the mornings and St. Paul worshipped in the evenings. Only a few months had passed when the members of St. Paul were able to purchase the Church. And in subsequent years, they were able to purchase two more lots adjacent to the existing church from the Emanuel Society of the United Evangelical Church. As the church grew in membership, ministries were formed and St. Paul was well on its way saving souls and serving the community.
For over 100 years St. Paul CME Church has been a beacon of light on Chicago's south side.